Engaging the "Orang Asli" and get in touch with nature

By Kirah - July 17, 2018



Hello great people!
It's been a while since my last blog post, isn't? That is why, I've been more excited to share you guys my recent visit at Orang Asli village in Kg Pertak , Kuala Kubu Baru.

Who is The Originals/ Orang Asli?
Orang Asli  are the indigenous people and the oldest inhabitants of Peninsular Malaysia.
Estimated population: 150,000 (Centre for Orang Asli Concerns, 2003)
Ethnicity: Temiar, Semai, Lanoh, Semnan, Sabum, Kensiu, Batek, Kentaq Bong, Jehai, Medrique, Tonga, Temuan, Jakun, Orang Kanaq, Orang Selitar, etc.
First language/s: Aslian languages, Semelai, Temoq, etc.
Religion/s: Animism, Islam, Christianity

What is BTB (Bridging The Boundaries)?
It is actually a programme which was organized by a group of beautiful heart-ed students from UKM. The project manager happened to be Nadia's friend. So Nadia has approached me to join this event with her on last weekend. So why not? This outreach programme also collaborated with PEKA Malaysia and Yayasan Selangor. 

Purpose of the programme
Honestly, I did not have much expectation on this programme. It was one of my randomness that I came across. So I packed my bag and let's go! Participants need to pay 100 bucks for food, accommodation and etc. Surprisingly, it was better than I imagine. We were engaging with the locals which is Orang Asli and got to know them closer. And of course, detoxing our polluted mind and soul with nature. 

What we did for 2 days?
There were a lot of activities they prepared. Thumbs up to the committee for the awesome execution. We learnt their hard way to survive in daily life. They taught us how to make basket from bamboo and even woven their accessories. We had Q&A session about their activities in a day. How they handled corpse, how they settle marriage and a lot more. We had the experience on how they do "sumpit". They were so nice which the kids even prepared us performances. They were so cute. I was overwhelmed with their welcomes and open hearts. The highlight was hiking and get ourselves wet at waterfall. And don't forget the king of fruits! The committee prepared us some Durian tasting at the end of the day. Indeed, it was a life time experiences.







Even though, I was having bad cough and flu, this did not matter at all, because I enjoying myself with the good vibes. I'm glad I'm not the only one, but everyone feels the same. The fees was so affordable comparing what values we got from these 2 days. It was amazing. I hope I can join such a good event in future. With god willing, if there is great opportunity, why not?

Until next Vlog/Blog, no hate just love, cheers!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments