Backpacking to Surabaya, Indonesia Part 1

By Kirah - February 02, 2015

I was calculating which story that I really want to write first. Because it has been a while since I have to remember the event from scratch. So I decided to share you my recent travel to Surabaya, Indonesia. Literally, my travel style is backpacking and I will give you few ideas of activities that may be included in your itinerary.


We were lucky to witness sunset on board.

So, my journey also consists of four other friends which are Nadirah, Najihah, Ida and Husna. We took direct flight from KLIA to Juanda Airport, Surabaya. We arrived there around 10pm and wait for another 2 hours before Pak Ari fetch us. Pak Ari is a young man that we paid to drive us to the agreed places that we discussed with Pak Kuku (Juanda Airport-Bromo-Ijen-Malang) for only Rp 1.6k. Pak Kuku has some blood related relation with Nadirah’s family. We were lucky to have him and the price was negotiable.

When I opened my eyes, Pak Ari waked us up saying that we already at the entrance of Mount Bromo. It was around 4am in morning. We told Pak Ari to negotiate the price to rent a jeep as he is a local resident. Jeep is needed to bring you at the peak of Mount Bromo. Finally, deal was success but unfortunately, Pak Ari was not coming with us and we had to pay real expensive for the entrance fee. It cost Rp215,000 per person. Isn’t too much? We decided to continue our journey after a little argument with the local. Pak Ari then straightly went to our hotel and waited us there. It took approximately half an hour to reach the peak or it is called Penanjakan. Please wear thick clothes as it is so cold when you get up there.

We took a lot of pictures. I mean A LOT ! haha. And considering I am the only one, who is filled with artistic in photography (in Malay we called as cerewet), so they passed the camera to me to take their beautiful photo. Pity me. At Penanjakan, we were amazed and mesmerized with the scenery. It was totally stunning view. After almost 2 hours, we took photos with various kinds of postures of us, and then we went for horse riding to Mount Bromo. It was 15 minutes journey with the horses with Rp125,000. I got Remy (horse name) to ride on him. I could see Mount Bromo is vomiting the smokes. I am not sure either it was from lava inside or it was sulphur. We need to climb stairs, not that high but you have to be careful there were steep especially when thousands of people climbing the same stairs. Next destination, Savannah. One of God’s beautiful creatures. I thought I was in drawings. If you don’t believe me, see our pictures. I wish I can have my wedding photos here,hehe. Along our journey, we stopped at Pasir Berbisik. It was such an astonish sand dunes and we could hear as voices whisper to you.

At Penanjakan



 Sunrise in Penanjakan
 All of us

 Stunning view





Mount Bromo





 At the top of Mount Bromo








Savannah
















Pasir Berbisik







Then, we were heading to our hotel which named as Cemara Indah around 10am. We had our late breakfast there and after cleaning ourselves we checked out at 12pm. It was not even 2 hours we stayed at the room. The room was a bit pricey but the worst part was the serving. I am really disappointed because they mad at us because we exceeded limit for persons to check in a room. I told them it was only short moment, we even paid for 1 night price from Agoda. So we acted like we didn’t care at all about what they said, haha.


And then Pak Ari drive us to our next destination which was Ijen. He told us that this journey took long hours. Yes, he meant it. And again, car was being our bed. After 3 hours journey, we reached Madakaripura Waterfall. Such a worth view after went through almost 1km trekking with guide from local. There were waterfalls above your head, so I suggest bringing waterproof bag along is a good idea to protect your things such as camera. But don’t worry, along the road there were locals that sells raincoat or even cook you instant maggi right away if you hungry.
 Stall












We changed our clothes and head to Ijen. It took another 6 hours. I will continue my experiences in next post. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments