2D1N - Hiking Mt Ledang via Asahan

By Kirah - January 10, 2019

The correlation of post-hike euphoria of summiting and the passing of time can scheme to erase any memory of pain or at the very least lessen the discomfort. Before jumping to the experience, I would like to share (maybe could benefit you in anyway) on what should you bring when you decide to have an overnight hiking:

  • Appropriate clothes (jacket, layers, hat, proper boots, gloves)
  • Extra day’s supply of high-energy food
  • Minimum 1L of water
  • Compass
  • GPS (inReach)
  • Cell phone
  • Sunglasses
  • Hat
  • Sun screen
  • Headlamp
  • Spare batteries or backup light source
  • First aid kit
  • Fire
  • Lighter
  • Flint & steel or waterproof matches
  • Knife / multi-tool
  • Post-hike clothes, sandals & towel waiting in the car
  • Napkins or toilet paper
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Trekking poles
  • Insect repellent
  • Duct tape

Mount Ophir or known as Mount Ledang (Gunung Ledang) is a mountain in the Gunung Ledang National Park located in Tangkak District, Johor, Malaysia. The summit is located between the border of Muar and Melaka. Standing at 1,276 m (4,186 ft), it is the 64th highest mountain in Malaysia.

Ledang can be climbed in a weekend, camping one or two nights on the mountain. Ledang is a good introduction to Jungle Mountains. The route up the mountain takes one from big trees on the lower slopes, through a mossy forest with several species of pitcher plant, to the wind-swept rocky summit with its rhododendrons and other flowering plants. The route up the summit is short, steep and a strenuous scramble in places. Although any healthy fit person can climb Gunung Ledang, it is not suitable for a casual family outing. Sure there’s rock climbing and ladder runs, but coming after an already long and arduous hike, this was the route for those keen to push themselves.

Five of us decided to spend our New Year Eves at the peak of Mount Ledang. It was on 29th December 2018, Nadiah, Sarah and I departed from KL to our meet point in Asahan. While Olel and Afiq were departed from Johor. We parked our car at 'Laman Tiga Budaya, Taman Tema Air'. You can simply search the location via Waze apps. There were around 30 people in our group for this expedition. Upon arrival, we must declared every item we will bring to the camp site. A form will be given and you just need to have rough estimation on your belongings. However, what I can say, they are strict especially when it is related to plastic. So please bare in mind that you have to be precise on number of plastics that you bring along. It will be re-calculated and checked once you are back. That is mean, you are not allowed to leave your items at the peak or elsewhere.

We set off and started to climb after short briefing by our lead guider around 10am. There are 7 check points in total and our campsite was located at check point 6. It was estimated that we will arrive at campsite at 4pm. Do I mentioned it was our FIRST ever hike that required us to stay for a night? I was afraid that I could not cope with my fitness. There was a kid in our group, I bet he was born to hike. He was fast and leaving the others. I was amaze by his spirit and courage. He is just 9. What I did during that age? Playing Barbie I guess. 

Checkpoints:
CP1 - Enggang Berangan
CP2 - Hentian Hanuman
CP3 - Hentian Unggas
CP4 - Lembah Beruang
CP5 - Batu Berlumut
CP6 - Padang Batu (The campsite)
CP7 - Gunung Runduk

Because of my lacking, I seem to leave everyone behind and can't be stopped. I begin to regret but it still did not strike my inner peace yet and the trail packed in some fairly fierce sections going from a 20 degree incline to a 50 degree one in places. With intermittent flats and even a downhill section after CP3 that culminated just as CP4 (the ultimate guilty pleasure) came into view, the terrain was more forgiving. I could better appreciate just how lush and lively the jungle was.

My knees were shaking so I decided to climb alone and did not rest. I just wanted to end this torture. I was the first one to arrive. It was around 2.20pm when I reached check point 6, our campsite. 20 minutes, the kid arrived and accompanied me, at least I had someone to talk to. While waiting the others, we took few pictures and mingle around with the other group that arrived earlier.












The aptly called CP5 continues the trudge upwards along a combination of moss covered boulders and roots. It’s the perfect prelude to what lies ahead. CP6 looked alarming. Long and wide, a single rope lay slack against the middle of this barren grey prominence. I hauled myself up while grabbing the rope and began walking to provide stability, and then when I was confident enough to let go, as a directional guide. At 60 to 70 degrees, it wasn’t as precipitous as it looked.















The  trail’s sole water point is here and the area it is in doubles as a small camp site. The possibility of sitting here gazing up at a sky glittering with a thousand stars or a full moon would have excites me inside. Besides the nearby spring provides a place to wash up and allegedly there’s even a toilet, although its proximity to the water point was kinda grim. But it's okay.

Resting on a sad pile while waiting for the other to complete with tents set up, I was wondering what should we eat for dinner. I was lucky to have such a good friends. Olel and Afiq prepared for our dinner with such a lush and luxury meals that we could afford on merely thousands meters altitude. They cooked chicken soup to be eaten with the rice. Oh yes, we had spicy fried tempe too. I just wanted to throw my body and lying around. I spent my legs and couldn't feel if I still had it. We slept early, ignoring others whom still laughing and joking around. I want rest, that's all. 

4am, we've been waken up by the guiders, signaling us to get prepared for our super early morning hike. The plan is to witness the sunrise at the top of Mount Ledang. They estimated for another 1 hour and half journey up at least before reaching the peak. At 5.15am sharp, we were set off to climb. I was among the 10 earliest people at front and had no idea about my friends. I forged on up making the final push over and around the boulderous landscape. 6.20am, I reached the peak alone. I decided to perform my subuh prayer and it was somewhat a magical feeling I experienced. 20-30 minutes later, I found their shadows, yes I was right, there were my friends. Then we grinned some coffee to warm ourselves up while witnessing the sky changing it's colour gradient. Speechless! Tons of celebratory photos taken.






























Going back down to the camp site,  the journey progressed quickly and painlessly, and treacherous as I had anticipated. And again, Olel and Afiq prepared us for lunch. This time they cooked sardines, not bad. Then, we had to rush and tidy up our belongings and making sure there was no plastics being left there.

The journey was almost entirely downhill, with the exception of one uphill section between CP4 and CP3. As each of us descended at different times and at different paces we were spread out and I was alone again. It was indeed a remarkable experiences and cooler way to end my 2018. 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments